If you don’t know computers, you need us; If you do know computers we need you.
Next Meeting: Saturday January 19th, 10 am
Annual December Lunch
Saturday Dec. 15th, 2018
The annual Northern Neck Computer Users Group Holiday Luncheon will be held on Saturday December 15, 2018 at 11:30 am at the Kilmarnock Inn, located at 34E Church Street in Kilmarnock. Each guest will be responsible for their luncheon choice. If you are planning on attending, please RSVP Mary Stewart. Please respond by December 13, 2018.
Chrome and Firefox Users
There are malicious web pages that will try to claim you need to update Chrome or Firefox. These applications never update from webpages, it is somebody trying to take over your browser. You will not be able to exit these pages if you land one one, you need to close down your browser from the task manager. To access this program press ctrl-alt-delete and pick task manager then terminate your browser. If you allow these pages to update your browser you will likely have delete and reinstall the browser to get rid of it, the rouge program disables most other ways to get rid of it.
There is another type of web page that tells you your computer is infected, and wants you to call a number for support. Again, you will need to go to task manager to shut down your browser, but your computer is not impacted by it despite what that screen says.
The Tablet SIG
will be meeting at 9:00 a.m. before the NNCUG regular meeting on Saturday, May 19th 2018 at the Lancaster Public Library in Kilmarnock. It will include hands-on help, Q&A, and sharing info about what new apps you’ve discovered. Topic of the meeting will be Photo Apps
GAMES (Apps for Tablets and Phones)
From BJ’s February Presentation
Note: Many of these require Internet access to play.
Free software for organizing Photos
FastStone – BJ demonstrated this at the meeting.
Click here for the August 2018 edition of the newsletter. Older editions can be found under “newsletters” on the menu at the top of the page.
- Go to www.twitter.com – Click on Get Started/Sign Up/Join Today.
- Enter a name (If you want your friends to find you to “follow” your tweets, you should use your real name.)
- Choose a password
- Type in a valid email. (Twitter will use this to send a confirmation email – and, depending on your settings, notifications when, for example, someone new “follows” you, or retweets a tweet of yours, etc.)
- Check box to let others find you by searching for your email address (but your email address itself will not be displayed).
- For now – skip entering a phone #. If you enter a phone #, Twitter will seek to verify it by having you enter it ON THE PHONE WHOSE NUMBER YOU ENTERED.
- Choose a username (which will be your @catchy name)
- Choose photo for your account (Profile icon: View Profile: click on Camera Box to browse to a photo on your computer.)
- This creates an URL for your Twitter homepage: www.twitter.com/yourusername
(Download full handout from link at top of section)
Upcoming Meetings of the Computer Genealogy Group.
Each meeting will be held at 1 P.M. in the Auditorium at Rappahannock Westminster-Canterbury in Irvington.
Genealogy Meeting Notice
September NNCUG Genealogy Special Interest Group Meeting Cancelled
More Genealogy notes and announcements can be found here
The Treasurers report is included in each month’s issue of the computer link which is available on the menu at the top of this page.